Frequently Asked Questions
Information for Prospective Landlords
Common Questions asked by Landlord Clients of Jackson Bell Property
How do I receive my payments?
- Disbursements to Landlords are done either fortnightly or monthly, and payments are made by electronic transfer to your nominated bank account. Statements are emailed monthly to you.
- We disburse funds on the 12th, 13th or 14th and the 26th, 27th, or 28th of each month.
- We can also do additional one off disbursements if required at no extra charge.
What happens if my tenant stops paying rent?
- We understand that the rental income is relied upon to ensure that Landlords financial commitments are met. For this reason, we monitor rent arrears daily. Tenants will be contacted by SMS, email and phone when the rent is in arrears, and Notice of Termination for non-payment of rent will be issued on the 15th day of arrears (or next business day).
- In the event that there are frequent rent arrears, we will contact you to discuss the options available.
Can I do my own repairs?
- Whilst we have a selected and efficient team of tradespeople to carry out repairs, you are able to attend to repairs and maintenance yourself. Please note that some repairs are required to be completed within a timely manner, whilst others require the tenant to be given the correct amount of notice.
How do I know I’m going to get a good tenant?
- All tenants are required to complete a Tenancy Application and provide sufficient information on rental history, employment/income, identification, social media and personal references.
- Procedures have been established to ensure that references are thoroughly checked and information is cross referenced. We are a member of TICA, and all applications are processed through the TICA database.
- After the applications are processed and references checked, we will contact you to discuss the applications. If there is any doubt as to the legitimacy of any application, we will advise you.
- Ultimately, the decision on who resides in your property is up to you.
Does my tenant pay for water usage?
- Yes they do, as long as your property reaches the minimum requirements Fair Trading has set out for water efficiency. We charge the landlord for the entire water rates invoice, the tenants are then charged for the water usage to reimburse the landlord.